- Knoxville | 38 miles, 59 minutes
- Asheville | 74 miles, 1.5 hours
- Charlotte | 189 miles, 3.5 hours
- Nashville | 222 miles, 3.5 hours
- Atlanta | 225 miles, 4 hours
THE HISTORY OF
Rising to an elevation of 3,629 feet, English Mountain was most likely named after an early settler, James English. From the ridgeline of English Mountain you can see Douglas Lake, a TVA reservoir that covers the French Broad River Valley. The forest is a mix of pines, oaks and other trees with an understory of mountain laurel, blueberries, and huckleberries. In 2015, the English Mountain Fire Tower was added to the National Register of Historic Places.